Black Children Should Be Home-schooled; Here’s Why

By Yolanda Spivey

Experts are stating that homeschooling for most Black children may be the best alternative to public schooling. While children of all racial backgrounds suffer from a plethora of problems as it relates to going to public schools, racism is a main reason why Black children benefit the most from being schooled at home.  In a recent study conducted by Antonio Buehler, a homeschooling expert, he identified the top reasons why Black children will benefit from homeschooling more than any other ethnic group. Here they are:

1. Politicians sacrifice the black community over and over again.
The Black community continues to be worse off than other racial groups in America.  Due to the flawed and deliberate destructive government policies, Blacks suffer from high incarceration and poverty rates.

2. Public schools are still segregated.
Black and Latino children schools are the worst in the country.  A study showed that more than 50% of Black students drop out of high school which is disastrous because as adults, they usually find themselves in economic poverty or in prison.

3. Public schools expect less from black students.
It’s expected for Black children to have a low performance rate in schools compared to their White counterparts.  The American dream usually does not apply to Black children and instead, they are constantly not treated equally in society which often affects them in the public school arena.

4. Private schools are not a solution.
Most private schooling still have stereotypes against Black children. If a family is socioeconomically depressed they will go to private school through a scholarship or voucher program, and throwing a financially depressed child into a rich school often has its own problems.

5. Homeschooling solves a huge number of educational problems for black kids.
Homeschooling is quite beneficial when it comes to Black children.  It allows them to develop their own individualistic ideals and gives them self-worth. Antonio Buehler states, “When they learn to read they can do so in a way that is relevant to them, and not in a way that is prescribed by bureaucrats and special interest lobbyists. When they learn math they don’t have to deal with a teacher who assumes the least of them. When they study history, Black children can learn about all the inspirational men and women who aren’t prioritized in the Euro-centric curriculum of public schools. Instead of being told how stupid they are or how little is expected of them, they can be free to develop their unique talents to the best of their abilities.”

92 thoughts on “Black Children Should Be Home-schooled; Here’s Why

1. Deborah

I used to be homsechooled, which helped me learn a lot about Africa in a country where black history really isn’t taught frequently or well. That said, I was lucky to go to good schools. From the appallingly unequal playing field for African American children, home-school would have many benefits. One problem though, is that with many black children coming from broken homes where parents might not have a sufficient level of education, there is still scope for more of a public effort to educate black children better, like
    through community projects.

2. Randy

Sounds like a great, great idea, and Im all for it but, there’s some instant problems with this… If most of our households are single, working moms, then who is left behind to follow through with the home schooling Uncle Rickey? Then also, those who are in poverty also lack education with literacy and numeracy deficiencies, hence the reason why they’re in poverty; now we’ll have the blind leading the blind. But I understand the need, as public education is one of the most institutionalized racist systems pipelining our kids to prison. They won’t teach them what they need to know.

3. Angela

Certainly this is not The solution. If all parents, not just black were equipped to teach, were given the tools and could not afford to lose the income, this would be an option. Teaching children how to relate to other races can most effectively be done by inclusive interactions, not seclusion. Socialzing teaches cooperation and brings about understanding. The answer is continuing to formulate the method to successfully implement respectful, realistic programs. Even the government can’t seem to cooperate and get that right.perhaps one of the homeschooled children will lead that charge. Koudos to those who excel in that setting.

• Ricki

Are we still promoting the socializtion arguement? I was always told that “school” was not a place to socialize. All four of my sons are homeschooled and have better, more diverse social skills than their peer acquaintences and cousins who all tend to follow instead of lead. This is because they have more time to be exposed in real world social settings, not sitting in a boring classroom 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, forced to be with folks they may not even like. I don’t do that as an adult and certainly would not put my children through that. Yes, I’m a working single parent and earned an MBA, while home schooling. It can be done.

• Lettie

Can I ask you how you made that work? I have twins on the way and I will be a single parent. I need to continue working but I am very adimate about homeschooling my children.

• gcole

She made it work because there was lots of money coming in from somewhere….Otherwise…what she’s saying is BULL…….

• BJ Murphy

Home schooling or community churches and mosques and retired teachers can do a better job that what we are giving our children over to. The devils schools is not for us

• Yashica

You are correct!! I just recently withdrew my son from school. If you know of any good resources for black children, please let me know . Thanks

• Ricki

Parents that want to take charge of their children’s education and would not want strangers teaching them. There are several options especially with technology. I expect this question from our people that have “cottonfield” minds.

• Candice

The parents must have the skills to teach the children if they do not you will have two lost generations and that is not a cotton field mind set it is reality.

• BJ Murphy

Again people if you think that this American education system is going to prepare a free black people you are mistaken. ALL BLACK CHILDREN MUST EXIT ASAP! We must come up with something better than public schools

• ~C

NOT BULL! It worked for her and would work for other parents who fit her profile. Home schooling is not for everyone because as pointed out in so much of the commentary everyone is not capable ore able. However, homeschooling should be recognized as a viable alternative for consideration.

• Sarah

Its an ideal that the black community should hear about, and maybe can find a way to make it happen in their households. Its a great ideal. We have to take co trol of our own destiny’s…depending on white America is not working socially, economically, mentally, for us. But we have to also stop believing everything white america says, and start believing our own people. Respecting our own people, wanting the best for our own people, and stop @$%&ing each others wives and husbands. That opens the door for the devil to keep us in bondage.
      We are the biggest consumers…that means power. We can become self sufficent. With our own businesses, schools, banks, car dealers ETC. Support black businesses, bring back the dollars to our communities. Those of you who live in Pasadena Calif. There is a black owned beauty supply, called Red Mink…don’t give your dollars to those Koreans who treat you like crap. Support this establishment with your hard earned dollars. Home school your children, give them a chance to learn in a non racist enviornment, of peace, love and safety. Give them a chance they are our future.

• Raja

You are forgetting that currently 1/2 of our children drop out of high school. So schools are failing, can we agree on 50% of our children. Why do kids drop out? Mostly because they don’t see the value. When I was in school, we studied European history never my history. We read European writers, everything from that perspective I hated it. So with all the online courses available to homeschoolers and the love and support, homeschoolers have a better chance of loving school vs. The public schooled.

4. Carolyn M.

No school system, politician or private school is more concerned about your child than the parent. Sitting next to a white child is not going to seep education and discipline into a child of color. Parents in numbers must advocate for their children. Complain if you feel the school is lousy. Discipline your child. Raise your child. Don’t abdicate your responsibilities as a parent.

5. renee

Yes, they should because the HELL some of them face in public damages them forever and it is NOT worth it! I went through all kinds of hell and racism with my children being in schools with teachers that were from the trailer park and could care less about my children! Teachers trying to FAIL and discourage my daughter
    who was an all A student in honors classes who was NOT a BEHAVIORAL PROBLEM! Kudos to those who can home school because it is an EXCELLENT IDEA!

6. Sandra Dee

Black kids still have to grow up and live in the real world. So, temporarily shielding them is not going to help.

• BlueCornMoon

I agree with you. I just retired from teaching June 2013 & one thing that I’ve noticed over the years is that a HUGE number of today’s black kids do not know their history, & often do not have the racism smarts that enable them to recognize overt or covert racism.. Parents used to pass down these skills to their kids when I grew up in late 50’s – 70s. Back then we all went to segregated schools, couldn’t go into certain restaurants, sat in theater balconies & went to segregated beaches. Parents taught us all how to deal with it. Many of today’s young parents didn’t get those skills or else threw them out mentally so kids aren’t prepared to deal with today’s racism & behave in ways that make it extremely easy for them to fall into the school to prison trap. Kids look at all the rappers making millions,Obama in office, Tyler Perry movies, the increasing immigrant populations in the schools & all the blacks on TV and think we’ve got it made, I’ve told some parents about this, because THE BIGOTS SURE PASSED DOWN THEIR ATTITUDES . Today’s GOP bigots trying to destroy Obama & put our kids in prisons are the descencants of the bigots that harrassed civil rights workers,bombed churches, shot Medgar Evers & assassinated Dr King. I went to segregated schools but when they integrated we had to learn to deal with overt & covert hostility & racism from other kids,teachers & administrators. We learned how to fight back by studying hard & ignoring the insults & our families supported us. Today’s black kids often want to solve all problems by fighting,cursing & shooting each other, even if it destroys them in the end. Revenge is often more important than having a good life. Today’s kids need to be out in the world, studying hard in school,learning the enemy’s tactics & how to deal with them. Asian kids faced discrimination,too but their communities band together & push them to succeed anyway. That’s what black folks of my generation did back in the 60s & we often talk about it at class reunions. Somehow all that got lost during the crack epidemic in late 80s & 90s. Our once proud music industry that produced the fantastic Motown artists started producing NASTY RAP LYRICS loaded with profanity & n-words. It’s like we lost our culture, common sense,pride, knowledge of how to raise kids,etc

• Jean

I love this topic! We as African American we need to do just that home school our children, because it seem they will miss a whole lot in the public schools! Just as someone said they are already marked before they hit the school doors! Marked as lazy, dumb, untrainable, can’t comprehend so some teachers are bracing theirselves for a hard day at work!! Some teachers are very lazy and does not want to put in the effort of helping our children! Some teachers do not want to go the extra miles to get the child what they need to get that MBA, or PHD! They are label as ASSD and need to be put on some medication or something to get them a start! I know at one time or another the system was just passing that student because they needed to move on! That student failed when passed to the next grade before he or she wasn’t shown or taught anything in the previous grades! The system wants to shift the problem on someone else and get it off of their hands! I prayed very hard for my children when I had them in public schools because I had to work also! Every chance I got I was up at that school looking and watching the teachers and trying to communicate with regulary letting them know I care about my child education! I left my telephone number at work and at home so that if anything arise they can contact me! My husband at the time was also very busy at work and couldn’t get the times off that I could! Today my sons are doing well as adults one is almost getting his Bachelor Degree and the other one is a manager at a major airlines do very well! I think because of my prayers and putting in sometime with my children education letting them know and the teachers that I am watching you! I had a full time job, but it was determination to see my kids get through the system! I didn’t do so well when going to school because I didn’t have the parents that wasn’t good in their education and didn’t know much on schooling and therefore I was sore of left on my own and with my siblings to help me! I was bullied a lot at school and didn’t enjoy school as much! As an adult I got my GED and went on to a Associate Degee! I didn’t want my children to go through the things I went through! My children both received a high school diplomas walked down the isles to received their diplomas and went on in life to make my husband and I proud!!!

• Sargento

Temporarily shielding them will help. When they face the real world, they will know how to read and write, which will be their best defenses in dealing with the real world. If they go to public school, they will not be taught how to read and write, instead, they will be placed in a corner and end up knowing nothing, only that they are stupid (which they are taught in school.)

• Liz Cannon

I am homeschooling my daughter and she is doing so much better than she was in a classroom being one of many. I cant say I will continue due to our circumstances but if you could pull your child out for 1 or 2 years I know it will make a difference. So many free resources online and I have a teacher who believes in homeschooling who is helping me assess her. The socialization not an issue between girl scouts, church events playdates with her friends from the neighborhood we are good ! Before you judge this please read up about it !

• Raja

It’s not about shielding them it’s about teaching them their history and building their coping skills and giving them educational tools they need to build a business. Homeschooling could very well be the solution for our children. But you are not alone, go online there is plenty of help if you just do your research!

• BJ Murphy

We have to stop feeding our children to the wolves. THE MAJORITY of white teacher in the public schools don’t care about your child. Don’t be afraid to take control

• ~C

I beg to differ. Shielding AfrAm children in their early development years Birth to 12 is crucial. Elementary grades are especially important and determine future success in many different ways.Our Children have a life time to participate in the rapidly evolving global community. They will benefit from developing their self image through a lens other than the ones of difference, inferiority, and constant microaggression in the classroom. Give them the gift of time whenever possible.

7. vrw

NO. This is another form of segregation. Next thing it will become law…again. Who will stay home with the kids? Which parent will sacrifice their career? Much need income will be lost. Who will have oversight and authority. The black community needs to come together as one voice as was done in the sixties and the million man march. Issues need to be solved within the black community not in the media. If you have a problem with ones voice or format pick up the phone and say so. Deconstruction of the black community comes from within. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying divide and conquer. As long as we are divided as a people we shall NEVER overcome.

• BlueCornMoon

RIGHT ! With many parents barely making it with both working minimum wage jobs, who’s going to home school the kids? And as a retired teacher who’s seen tons of notes written by parents who aren’t far from being functionally illiterate themselves, how can they teach their kids adequate reading & math skills when their own writings are filled with bad grammar & horrendous spelling & their speech is filled with ” He be done gone”
        ” I should’ve went”, “We be having a birthday party” and some such grammatical disasters?

• Liz Cannon

We understand that you may not have a way to financially quit your job and homeschool. But you can begin to supplement the free programs online. You can begin to look and see what your child should be proficient in at this point in their education and maybe YOU begin to introduce a grade early information gradually. Stop saying WHO start looking HOW. How can I still help my child achieve without depending on a system that has been proven does not work. FYI I know several public and private school teachers who homeschool their children which says alot about what is going on in the school system. OUR children dont need excuses dear but solutions to the a mediocre school system producing mediocre adults. BTW I am a Single mom doing it !!

• Sargento

This article is about “Black Children Should Be Home-schooled; Here’s Why” not about the civil rights march and rioting. The politicians already know how to deal with marches and rioting, so we have to fight some other way. Education is the most powerful tool one has and the only way we can fight racism is through knowledge and education and that is what our children are not getting. If a child is not educated and his/her self esteem is constantly attacked, it will affect that child when they become older. They won’t be able to deal with family or with society. One has to decide whether to sacrifice those few pennies to buy that Louis Vuitton or sacrifice a child to jail, because he or she stood up against a bully or a teacher, who target the child because his or her race. We cannot have it all yet, we either have to have two parents with a career and a child in jail or have one working parent and a well rounded child ready to deal with the world. The reason why so many other minorities surpass us is because their families will sacrifice for their child’s education.

• Andrea

other minorities do not sacrifice a paying job to homeschool their children. I have a couple of Chinese restaurants that I frequent. Those people send their children to school, but they make them sit in that restaurant and do their homework. Then the next thing I knew, one of those little girls was tall enough to reach the cash register and was working! They get ahead because they teach their children to be self employed.
        As for Black students being put in a corner in the back of the class, I still remember over 20 years ago when my son was attending a school in a very wealthy neighborhood. We lived their in an apartment, not house. I found out that he and his friends all CHOSE to sit in the back. The only way I found out was that one of his little female friends and her Mom and I were talking. She told me that all the Black kids would sit in the back so they could talk, but she was a very intelligent little girl and was also paying attention to the teacher. She told us that whenever she would raise her hand to answer a question, the teacher would ignore her. Her Mother end up going to the school to talk to the teacher.
        Now I know you are probably saying, that’s even more reason for our children to be home schooled. But no. Not so. You see, both the other mother and myself were single parents with little or no financial help from the sperm donors. But even if we could have home schooled, her daughter would never have known about racism, nor would my son. I think that Black parents should get more involved with their children’s educational process, communicate with their children, make spontaneous visits to the school and sit through a class or two
        How can Blacks home school their children when they never even bother to go to PTA meetings? They never sacrifice a day of their vacation to volunteer to go on field trips with their child’s class. Children who get looked over in class are usually the ones that the parents have shown no interest in their child’s education. Before parents start trying to home-school, they should try PATICIPATING in their child or children’s public school education.

• Raja

Great comment. I went to a weekend retreat in Atlanta this weekend on homeschooling. There is plenty of people ready and willing to help our children. Plus we need retired teachers volunteering to help.

8. Marjorie R White

I support the Escambia County Junvenile Justice Coalition; the Escambia County Democratic Party (DEC); the Escambia County Democratic Womens Club (DWC); President Obama’s Organiing for Action; and, I am in contact with several more organizations and/or community action groups. In addition, I was elected Commissioner of Education (at-large) to the Board of Education of the Syracuse City School District – served two consecutive four year terms – from January 1982 to December 1989.

It is refreshing to find that there are more Black people, like myself, who feel strongly that Black Children need to be home schooled. I want to do what I can to assist in this effort.

9. Pamela J

I agree totally! As a former teacher there are more problems than those stated here. In many cases you have children and parents that have checked out of the education process. The causes of the disruptive behaviors in the classrooms are epic societal problems. And, finally, if you want your student to know the truth about his or her history, you will NEVER find it being taught in a public school. For example, in social studies students are still being taught that all civilization began near the Tigris/Euphrates Rivers in the middle east…everyone knows that man and civilization began in AFRICA!

10. dee

black children should be home schooled. it would increase their educational levels and help towards any behavioral problems. I’ve seem where teachers would not teach certain children. I worked as a school lunch monitor and felt so badly for some of the kids. the kids, had behavioral problems, but they still need an education to compete in this world. most of the teachers were Hispanic and would not help the black kids at all. I always wondered about the parents, did they have any idea their kids were not being taught. I, tried helping those kids the teacher ignored. I did the best I could without being a teacher. I would bring the kids back in the circle pool but the teacher still would not acknowledge that child. they should be home schooled.

11. Amazing Grace

My nephew and his wife are home schooling their three children, and it has already reaped many benefits as a result. Finally, a blog with foresight regarding the future of Our Next-generation, and Generations To Come.

12. Susan

We have home schooled our son for many years; he graduates in May, 2014. He was in private school at age 3, home schooled from grades 4th thru 8th; then private school for 9th, and home school again for 10th thru 12th. The reason is racism. Starting in first grade, they have two schools for each grade. The students of color are in the first level; then the white students in the advanced programs. Even if the white students are failing; they keep them in the advanced programs.

I believe we need a another federal lawsuit to, at least, stabilize our schools. Corporations move to the suburbs and those tax dollars go to that school district. They should have one fund and every student receives the same amount of funding.

I wished you had an email for this article, so I could email to friends and family. Good article.

13. Anna

It would be great for Black Childrem to be homeschooled,as well as taught by Black Teachers,because they should know their own Black History…If you don’t know where you come from,how you know where you are going? It is also very intresting to interact with people and children of all races,cultures and nationalities. IT opens their minds.

14. Jay Cee

I am in total agreement. Black children are ignored from day 1. Beyond that, they are still told that they cannot be some profession. A high school teacher recently told a young Black male student that “We don’t need another Black president” when the boy expressed the desire to become the president sometime in his future. Private school teachers, officials, etc. are no different when it comes to teaching and interacting with Black students. They are all the same.

15. Rev. George Brooks

How stupid, and how weak, can you get. And the same goes for any other blacks that think that we should simply run and hide from racism, here in 2014, rather than take on these racist peckerwoods and fight back. And, as Malcolm X said, by any means necessary. STOP LETTING crackers PUSH YOU AROUND, black folks with yellow streaks down your black backs. Go up to the schools IN DROVES and demand that they treat our black children FAIR and EQUAL, and NOW!!! While at the same time work to get more black teachers in the school. And at the same time start working NOW to get black private, charter schools. Or raise all kind of hell, and protest and sit in at the schools that are not treating our children fair and equal, in any and every state, no matter where. — Rev. George Brooks

• Floyd

I agree and to an extent you are saying the same thing the Dr. is stating.

I have no preference of getting an education with white students. I can learn just as much among my kind.

16. Bonnie Harmon

I can relate, however what bothers me is there aren’t enough so called African American adults who are on the same page with this topic. This is a mission that has to be achieved in getting parents to realize the odds towards their children as well as themselves. It’s wonderful to home-school or do cyber school, but the whole Black America needs to consider in taking this route. In reference to black children being segregated is more so a cue in waking up blacks for a hands-off policy on no other class people are to teach or touch black children, but blacks. Furthermore, this stands for brick and mortar schools. For more over hundreds of years, black children has been contaminated throughout their system of being innately intelligent, which is passed down from their ancestors. This is accounted from birth. I’m doing my part in reaching out to black patents to enroll their child or children more and more into cyber school as well as moving forward in the direction in teaching those same students that they’re Black Gold! Last, my mission is segregation for ‘hands of my black children policy.”

• Yoletta Hall

So true I concur, Ms. Bonnie Harmon. My daughter who is 10 in the 5th grade has requested to be home schooled, A student on the principals list until I switched her to a school closer to home. I’ve been doing research and this is the way we are going. Yes I have nay sayers, I also have support from friends in Christ who home school for different reasons. If you can remove your child from negative surroundings why wouldn’t you?

17. Melissa

I think home-schooling is a good idea for several reasons, including those mentioned above. I home-schooled my son for a couple of years because his segregated school spent most of his school day in discipline and ware-housing activities. My son learned to read, computer skills and math through his home school experience. There are some caveats to this move, however: if you find yourself having to re-enter your child in public school, s/he may be held back if they are unable to pass standardized tests, which is something home-schooling is not usually concerned with. Also, parents need to be knowledgeable/educated to make home school work. Otherwise, you could be handicapping your child. But the benefits of good home-schooling far outweigh the detriments if conducted properly. I’m a college educator with 27 years of experience and I highly recommend that parents get more involved with their children’s lives through home-schooling. Think of the wealth of cultural information you can impart that would not ordinarily be taught in traditional schools. You, yourself, can brush up on your own education in this fashion.

18. Arthur Robinson

Wait. Brown V. The Board Of Education and the Supreme Court Of the United States that ruled on Brown said that Negro’s would be better off in integrated schools, because segregated schools were damaging our children intellectually and causing them behavioral and mental problems and a lost of civility. Are you telling me that they were wrong?

• Floyd

Yes, Robinson, I am telling you they are wrong. We are 7 siblings in the family, and 5 of the seven attended segregated schools. I am a chemical engineer, my brother is a petroleum engineer, a sister is a nurse, one a beautician and the other a retired school teacher.
      The segregated schools in my school district was one of the best that thought us pride and self respect. I do not have any behavioral problems.

No one can teach our children better than we can. A teacher has to identify with his/her student as if they were their own. Can a white teacher look at a Black kid and visualize that child is their own? I rest my case.

19. Carole Brown

My deep feelings from my own personal experiences in the pursuit of education are that many teachers have low expectations of Black students. These low expectations are internalized in the classroom setting that forces students to be taciturn in class discussions. There are many “diamonds in the ruff” among Black students whose untapped talents go unrecognized and the persistent rap and beat of a self-fulfilling prophecy takes root.. I know….been there….done that. Yet, I persevered and my passion and deepest desire is to instill pride and a “you can do it” mindset has never wavered.

20. terrance webb

I have a 14 year old boy in a predominantly white school who is having a very hard time of it and the so-called educators seem to do all they can to Harrass him make him feel as inadequate as possible and anytime I’ve confronted them about it they try and give me the angry black man treatment. My son is a decent young who does have a learning disability and tries very hard to keep up and when he is able to most of his teachers will minimize his achievements, give him some kind of detention or suspension where he’s missing classroom instruction. and his grade may suffer. HELP PLEASE

• Floyd

Another example of what the system is doing to our kids. I had similar problems with my daughter and took her out of that school and placed her in a school where she was appreciated. She loved that school so much afterward to the point where she was up early in the morning dressed and ready for me to take her to school. She loved attending the new school.
      I recommend that if you can place your son in another school, please do so because no matter how well he does, they will definitely minimize it.
      If you cannot take him out of that school, you will have to teach him how to be able to tough it out. He needs to know his true history of his people, do a lot of reading, and a lot of home work. You will have to document every incident with dates and times. Also talk to a lawyer if possible.
      This is a touch one for you if you will not be able to place him in another school.
      Might want to consider home schooling.

• Fran

I would take him out of that school immediately. Put yourself in his place and imagine what it must be like for him being in school for most of the day being harassed by people who should know better. Think of how this is eroding his self-esteem.

21. blackd

Sounds great except that the parents are often just as lost, ignorant, and uneducated as the kids are. So who is going to do the homeschooling?

22. Tariq Shakoor

As a retired educator, I disagree with your premise and your conclusions, primarily because I do not believe that racism is the only problem we face in educating our children, nor do I believe that home schooling is the single solution to our educational problems. There is no single reason (racism) for educational failure, nor is there a single solution (home schooling) for our children. The problems with education are far to complex and multi-faceted to offer such simplistic solutions. No where did I see any emphasis on parental attitudes about education or the importance of parental expectations. I think there is too much emphasis on “other people” being the primary reason why our children often are failing in school. Accountability is the missing element for success in education. Parents have a role in accountability, as do teachers, administrators, and the students themselves. It is critical that parents clearly and consistently let their children and teachers know what their expectations are. One of the problems here is that many parents renege on this very important role. Many are not equipped or simply do not take the time to be so engaged. Many simply do not have the time because of life style or the challenges of survival. Home school may work for well-educated upper income Blacks, but what about the rest of the folk. Most people in my generation faced the ugly reality of racism and some of us made it regardless and some did not. I maintain that many of those who did not make it lacked the kind of parental support and expectations that can overcome racism and low expectations. Will home schooling help children navigate the problems they will encounter in the real world where racism will be encountered? Will their social skills be fully developed as a result of being in an artificially protected environment? How are these issues addressed in a home school environment?

• Floyd

Tariq I know where you are coming from, but there is a common denominator in our school system, and its Racism. I am a product of segregated schools, and we were taught how to succeed despite racism. The younger generation today do not fully understand how this is done. Furthermore racism today is more deceptive than racism of past. I agree its a complicated situation, but Racism in my opinion is the core of the problem, and it creates other problems.
      We have a problem, and this problem needs to be addressed and solve for our livelihood. When solving a problem, go from the complicated to the simplicity. This is always done for example in higher level math, take a complicated problem and break it down to its simplest form. We should be able to do this to help solve this monster that is before us. Its time for action, and if this action does not work, try something else until you have the correct one.
      Dr. Joyce is bring up this topic because its one the most important issue we are facing today in America. Our people will perish if not fully educated to compete with the world.
      I have a lunch buddy at an elementary school, and its amazing the baby sitting that is going on in the class rooms. Asked one student if they have Physical Education hours and told me yes. Asked him what they do during that period, and he stated that they watch films.
      I was having lunch with this same student on the last day prior to Christmas, and they watched “Happy Feet” that whole afternoon. Those student should have been doing lesson.
      Many high students do not have sufficient books and very little homework. How can these kids learn if they have no books. The schools I have tutored, and visited are a travesty.
      There is so much for our kids to learn, and we are not stepping forward to help correct the situation. We have sold our children to the very people who want to hold us back. It is happening every day.

23. Jacqueline Wiggins

Teachers get paychecks for providing a “thorough and effective” education to all students. If teachers are not trained to teach all children, they need to be re-programmed and re-educated or denied a certificate to teach.

If teachers do not know the historical, cultural, political and economic stories of the group they are teaching, they must be re-trained–thoroughly. Enough damage is done daily in not teaching young people the historical truths about Africa, Europe, Asia, or the Americas. Students drop out for a number of reasons, but a primary one is boredom due to far too many teachers not knowing how to motivate students to want to learn. Parental involvement plays a part in the student learning process, but teachers must be at the forefront of providing and knowing how to establish professional relationships with students in encouraging them that knowledge is power.

Also, teachers who have racist, sexist, anti-semetic, gay and lesbian biases must be identified, re-trained, or fired. Children are far too fragile to have anything less than a teacher who has been made aware of these biases on a personal/professional level and has worked through them. The blatant racism in some teachers results in limited to no expectation of students of color in particular learning anything that moves them forward intellectually. Some teachers of color harbor biases as well, and they, too, must be dealt with.

Again, teachers get paychecks to teach young people. To quote Dr. Adelaide Sanford, “If the children aren’t learning, it’s because they are not being taught.”

If a teacher gets a paycheck to teach, be sure s/he has been grounded in learning more than what their undergraduate program has provided; be sure s/he has been given the necessary tools to be successful in the classroom!

24. Floyd

If home schooling is done, then the Black professionals in all phases of society will have to be helpful. Most parents can teach their children up to a certain level. Most parents cannot teach higher level math, science and writing.
    My recommendation is that we go back to segregated schools (including all people of color) the way it was in the past, with good Black teachers and professionals. This way we can teach our children the way they should be taught without interference of racism. To do this we will have to relearn our values, and not put too much values on professions that makes us rich over night. I am talking about athletes. We will have to emphasize education over athletics.
    If segregated schools are not practical today, then home schooling alone with help from professionals is worth the effort.

25. Walter Harris Gavin

It ain’t smart to be stupid. There may be any number of reasons to “home school,” but insulating “black” children from racism isn’t one of them. Structural racism is built into the very fabric of every U.S. institution. Black children have to be taught from the earliest age how to deal with that. And there is no better teacher than direct experience. “Home schooling” should be a given when it comes to “black” children meaning parents must always be involved in what their children are being taught in their public or private school setting and encourage their off spring to think for themselves accepting nothing at face value from whatever source. Critical thinking is what is important more than the educational setting. But trying to insulate “black” from racism in America is like trying to get water to flow uphill, a waste of time.

• Floyd

I was not home schooled, but attended segregated schools and I was exposed to more racism then what goes on today. Home schooling or going to segregated schools where the students feel comfortable for a good learning experience is very important. Its unfortunate that many today do not know what it was like going to a segregated school, the place where I learned and had lots of fun. In fact we were so confident about our abilities, we wanted to compete against the white schools across town. We were so good athletically in football, baseball and basketball to the point where white students would stand outside the school campus to watch us play football. We did not know how good we had it alone with our potential. With a good education, the young one will have a better chance of excelling in this racist society. Why make a child feel uncomfortable in a learning environment? He/she will experience all the racism outside the segregated environment and definitely will not be sheltered. I hear many students who attended segregated schools, then integrated during their sophomore year, state that they were being taught stuff that they already knew. They were my cousins, and stated that all the teachers wanted them to do was play sport.
      It is difficult for any one to pass judgement on the quality of segregated schools if one has not attended it. I am confident that the majority of people who attended segregated schools will give the same conclusions I have given.

26. shannon

I Live in delta co. I home school my children where we live there are very few blacks. My Son was spit on and call the n word, and the teachers thought it was funny and done nothing. until my son had enough and pick the kid up and slammed him. I fought with this school they tried to act like my son had no voice and looked down on. I pulled him and been home schooling him ever since he graduated In May day after he started working his first job and been doing quite well other than dealing with the racism here. I moving to the south. wv or sc or nc or williamsburg va but they look down upon homing schooling and makes it impossible to home school. could someone tell me what to do and how to go by doing it. I will never want to put my children back into the school system. My children doing much better and thriving and won’t put down there books. When my children was in school i don’t no how they was passing the black children off not reading good and math i notice that and they keep saying they are doing great i pull them to and now they are doing wonderful reading and writing off the charts son making A’s and B’s in math when you was bring home F’s and D’s. Just in case you trying to put it all together i have a total of 7 children.

27. jack

If black children are home schooled, will they not face discrimination in the work place and elsewhere? ALL Black children need to strive for excellence. Excellent people hardly ever face discrimination

28. F Walker

While home school is beneficial to black children, it is only a temporary band-aid to dealing with racism. Racism exists in all modalities of life so therefore black children need to be prepared to deal with it. Sad but true.

29. Elsie

I’m not sure that Black children need Home schooling. First of all, not every black parent has the ability, the know how or the income to stay at home and teach their children all of the essentials of a good education. ESPECIALLY not in today’s world when, generally speaking, it takes two incomes to raise a family. It also segregates them from the “real world”. They might feel shy or fearful later in life, out in the real world, when they encounter all of the differences in people of a variety of cultures and mind sets later in their lives. I think they need to be submerged into as many different cultures as possible while learning. What I think IS needed is better parenting skills by Black parents (maybe all parents) so that when the children are in a public school, they will be able to feel their power because their parents have taught them that they have within themselves all of the ingredients they need to excel and do well. They need to be praised for all of their accomplishments no matter how small to make them feel proud of themselves and to know that they really count in this world. This is a difficult world we live in now and it’s hard to navigate. The “waters” are not as smooth as they were when we were kids. There is SO much more to take into consideration today then when we were kids. There are a lot of life lessons to be learned along the way much earlier than we needed to learn them but they can and will do it with a lot of love, attention, patience and pride from their parents. More than likely, it is true that they will not learn very much about who they are in terms of their own culture and where they came from but, again, I believe that is up to the parents to incorporate that knowledge in to their parenting. They need to know Black history and they certainly need to know their own family history. That information is best coming from the parents and the rest of the family. It’s amazing what children can accomplish just from feeling like they are worthwhile, accepted for who they are, have their parents and family stand up beside them when they are feeling unsure and feel loved.

• 3d2002

@Elsie, I have to agree with everything you said. I’m actually going to print this out and keep it as a reminder for me as single parent. I am studying for my BA and employed full time and I am not able to got this route of homeschooling my child, although I wish I can, I’ve made a vow to myself and to him that I will be very instrumental in his education.

30. Hiroader2

It’s said the average student in NYC & Chicago cost $18-19,000.00 per student., So now now it’s “home schooling? “… In the early integration days of education there was a different African American culture & social environment and those who achieved higher education came back to the black communities as lawyers, police , mayors community professionals…. Now because of disruption & discipline issues the new brainstorm is “jumping out the frying pan into the fire”…. Their are already Neoconservative education officials lobbying for an *accredited school bureaucracy., there are budgetawks closing & crowding urban city schools while rural communities argue over the liberal Michelle Obama lunch menu… One point is their some screw*d people at every turn who’ll constant throw a racial monkey wrench in the game … The second point is there are scary-educators who will not place minority children next or on the same educational tiers with their children.., Will not work properly in a urban “war zone”.., For example in East Los Angeles commercial business areas are clean businesses and economy are flowing, Whereas in the Watts, So.Central warzone areas bickering & rivalry has retarded business & education progression from the past wars (see & recognize yourselves)… Another example is the Northeast in the 60’s growing up I left the Phila area there geometry books lined up after the algebra books., then moved to Brooklyn, NY 2-3 years older the teachers were giving fraction equations to sixteen yr olds during the 70’s “Sweathog” decade…. the reality was outside Brownsville, East New York was an war zone also… Inside the building a dumbed down lazy teacher curriculum, Outside a revolving door gang infested community… Both overlap thee other.. This is why home schooling would be even-more of a price jacking scam when rural communities would have full access to state fundings … History has shown Bordentown & Tuskegee educations gave young people a different perspective from their norms… The third point to make here at $18-19,000.00 per student the *curriculum, *disruptions & *discipline has robbed the tax payers blind all classrooms should’ve been video monitored 4 decades ago… At $18-19,000.00 dollars per student the *curriculum, *disruptions & *discipline has ROBBED the naive African American communities blind, all classrooms should’ve been video monitored 4 decades ago… $18-19,000.00 per year, per student should’ve considered gran-theft hence the use of classroom video monitors… Kids upload school fights to wshh & YouTube giving pinpoint laser accuracy of where the education & disruption loss of money happens… We can no longer allow teachers to tag black students as disciplinary fails and graduate a 17-18 yr old with a 4th grade reading average while getting their pension checks direct deposited….

31. Fred Sims

No black lids should not be home schooled to aviod racism. Facing racism might be a good thing for many of our kids ,it might show them the real world is not a hip hop video. As afather of three school childern I feel the black child’s biggest problem in public school is other black childern would come to school unprepared for school with a warped sense of reality.

32. Fran

You can’t get away from racism. If it’s not sooner, it’s later. It’s like the air you breathe – all around you. They will face it in the work world, eventually. Even if they are become entrepreneurs and have their own business, they are going to confront it in some form.

My granddaughter is15, attends one of the top 5 college prep schools in the city, is in the Honors program and is focused. But I dislike the fact that she has a Caucasian teacher for African-American studies. Her take on our history is that slavery wasn’t a big deal because blacks weren’t the only people enslaved. As if that weren’t enough, she compared the killing of Trayvon Martin to Emmitt Till. She seemed to think Trayvon caused his own death because he didn’t walk away while Emmitt Till did not because he was taken against his will. According to this educator, Trayvon had a choice. I watched the trial and he didn’t walk away – he ran away. This is but one example of who is educating our children.

A lot of teachers are guilty of having low expectations of our children, and often, along with school counselors, try to discourage them in their pursuit of excellence. As parents and extended family, we definitely have to be and stay involved.

I agree with a prior post that stated that there are a lot of “diamonds in the rough” in our kids, but the type of discouragement that goes on early and often is beyond appalling.

33. Beverly

The schools are funded by property taxes. The more affluent homeowners pay more taxes and therefore have better schools. Where does that leave the lower income people who do not pay as high a tax and leaves their schools without needed supplies, equipment, teachers, etc. These are people who could not afford to home school either. People need to come together to force these legislators to change these laws which are keeping segregation alive.

34. HAROLD

Get real. One does not stop sending their children to school because of cold weather. The children are told that it is cold outside, and the parent dresses him/her accordingly.
    The US is and has been a racists society. The native population was decimated, their land confiscated, and given to Europeans by the government. Africans were kidnapped, transported to the Americas, and enslaved. The chattel slavery plantation system dehumanized them for 200 years.
    After the collapse of the plantation, there has never been enough jobs for the so-called freed slaves. The freedom bureaus were a failure in their attempt to educate and assist the frees slaves during their transition.
    Actually the sharecropper system, if managed properly could have served as a effective way for transition. The south refusal to industrialize, caused the recently freed slaves to migrate to the north.
    We the descendants of those slaves have to understand that the jobs that our ancestors were bought over to perform disappeared. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ENOUGH JOBS TO ABSORB THIS DISPLACED POPULATION AND THEIR DECENDENTS. DEAL WITH IT!!
    The main part of the education system the parent and child have control of is attendance and homework. SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL EVERYDAY, HAVE HIM/HER DO THE HOMEWORK, AND MOST OTHER PROBLEMS WILL SOLVE THEMSELVES.

35. james

Home school is fine if one assumes the parent is capable! If one considers the conditions of the public schools then you might surmise most not all have know real interest in the education of their kids.. Students don’t have to be bused or integrated, parents need to recognize the value of knowledge and education. Are kids can dance and sing,they make babies but think driving a bus and make g 32k per year is a good job! We play video games while others are creating them and making billions! Come on people!

36. karena

Wow. Reading this article makes me appreciate that my parents placed me in a privately run (ran by blacks ) Catholic school in New Orleans. Last time i checked we were ranked top ten out of the U.S. I graduated in 2008. I’m 24 now and finishing up nursing. It was mandatory to take African American studies. You can not graduate without it. Each class was 90 minutes long. 8 total. 4 one day and 4 the next. 7:30Am to 3:15.Pm. in college…. I was waaaay ahead of blacks, Asians and especially whites in all subjects. people would pay us (another girl whom I graduated with) to do their homework and papers. At our high school all the parents attended PTA. it was mandatory for parents to volunteer so many hours. I apologize for grammatical errors. I’m on my phone. My school was Xavier Prepatory High School for those who are interested.

37. Waylon

I have three wonderful adult daughters. I home schooled one for only a year of Jr. High and it made all the difference in the world. If I could do it all over again, I would home school all of them. If allowed the chance I will home school my grandchildren.
    The public school system has no incentive to do a better job of educating anything but elite children because they have no competition. Private schools are not always much better. Parents that can understand what they, themselves, read can do a better job than they think. Through community, church, sorority and fraternity organizations networks can be developed to assist in areas where the parent needs help. If a person wants to do it bad enough they will find a way.

38. bridget

Greetings my sisters and brothers! Does anyone listen to Dr. Umar Johnson? He is all about our children. He’s a school Sycologist in Philadelphia. Very educated brother. Speaks on saving our black boys. He speaks on his videos about ADHD, ADD, about the different prescription drugs given yo our kids an everything. Check him out!!!!!! Knowledge is POWER!!!!!!!!!

39. ST

You didn’t address the parents who works one job; not to mention those who work two and three jobs. This is NOT uncommon. Nor did this article address the fact that many minorities get their meals by going to school. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are meals that some students would not get, on the regular, if they stayed home. I love the concept. Some of the most incredible young people I’ve ever met were home schooled. On the other hand, I’ve met those who were completely illiterate. What about the black parents who can’t teach their kids because they don’t know the subject matter themselves? Who monitors their learning? A large number of parents don’t even monitor homework. What would make one think that they would monitor daily lessons? And let’s be HONEST. Most parents are far too happy to get their children out of the house. Again, it’s a beautiful concept. But it doesn’t address the real problem: How are we going to make this concept a reality, on a large scale, without creating a disaster?

40. JC

FIRST: I would like to know why black people are so concerned about Hispanics? These people hurt us just as much as every other race does!! Countless blacks have been hurt by them, they are just as racist and dangerous. They hurt us too yet we let them into our neighborhoods too make a living and they go home and laugh about how stupid we are!! Do you think you are going to go into their neighborhood and run a business or cut their grass? WAKE UP black people and stop hurting one another. We have to encourage black children and adults to stop this foolishness of thinking life is about partying. Education is the key and we need to be calling these people out who don’t have our children’s best interest at heart. Home schooling is good for someone who has the time to be committed and it’s not for everyone. Many parents need to stay out of the streets partying and RAISE their kids, know where they are and stop letting them raise themselves. When you leave GOD out of your life, expect anything! If you are in a position to pray, do that because this is a LOST generation coming up now!

41. Sage

6) Inner-city schools have the highest percentage of uncertified, unqualified, and inexperienced teachers, in most subjects, but especially in regard to math and science.
    7) Less money spent per child in school budget and for learning materials.
    8) Indifferent, intolerant, and even hostile attitudes toward lower income students.
    9) Kids learn from people who “like” them!

42. Rebekah

I totally agree with the sentiment of the article. We should be taking responsibility for educating our own, particularly when they are not getting educated properly. It is our job to see to it that our children are learning, if that means we have to do the job ourselves. School is not a place you send your child to be baby-sat all day just so you can go to work or do whatever else. They are not there to socialize and make friends and to play. They are there to learn. There are plenty of extracurricular activities in the community for them to get involved in, like church, sports and volunteering. As a homeschool parent, you design and are in charge of the type of socialization your child is doing and its quality.

Being a single parent does not mean that you cannot homeschool! I homeschooled all 3 of my children as a single parent and there are many others of all races doing the same thing, BEEN doing it for years. School at home is not “public school” at home. You are not under the same time schedule that the public schools are. You make your own schedule. You do not have 30 children to teach either. You have flexibility. You have to think outside of the box on this and understand that above everything else, homeschooling is a lifestyle choice. And no, you do not need lots of money to homeschool. Most of what you need is patience, discipline, determination and creativity. And yes, you are going to have to sacrifice your precious time to do it. As far as my experience has been…it is well worth all of it.

Homeschooled children consistently score higher on standardized exams than kids taught in public schools regardless of their race. They are also actively recruited by colleges. Public school taught kids on average are not college-ready by the time they graduate high school, and that’s all races included. Not just minorities either. The United States is waay behind educationally PERIOD when viewed from a global perspective.

If you are a parent who wants to homeschool your child, do your research and learn about it. There is lots of help out there for you. If you want to teach your own, and are dedicated to that, you find a way to make it happen.

43. Gordon

Well, my son is almost 3.5 and can read Hop on Pop by himself, tell you the ABC’s starting from A or Z, pronounce the entire Spanish ABC’s and count to veinte, count to shi jyo and pronounce b p m f d t n l g k h j q x and zh in Mandarin, plays 4 finger piano chords c f d and g7, strums a ukulele and guitar and plays drums…all because he is at home to do so. He gets socialization through Awana, My Gym and several area library Story Time offerings, coupled with STEM related activities nearby. There’s also a robust community center network that offers classes for preschoolers day time or night for swimming, cooking, tae kwon do, basketball, soccer, etc. I’m not bragging on my son, but on the advantages home and homeschool provides if one parent is available to them. At the very least, healthy food is available at home and controlled, as is sleep and education, much more so than believing others will care more than we can. Take advantage of technology – there are apps that will reinforce learning and provide individualized affirmation much better than a group teacher would ever be able to. Everyone will not agree, but a chalkboard was best when there were no other options. Now, in addition to the chalkboard, the board takes on many more forms and we dare not think no one else is using them or we will quote segregate ourselves end quote. Powerful cyber learning that is available these days, coupled with personal instruction on writing and artistic skills, crafts and mini science experiments, easy readers that explain and encourage phonemic awareness, basic math operations (he knows the + – * / % symbols and also counts to 100 with tandem help and starting to learn skip counting), plus a LOT of reading and music (some in multiple languages and Ella Jenkins is a household name now) – all provides my child with potential he would not gain outside the home in such concentration. He is able to text me the words and phrases he is learning – yes, text using a smartphone- which is helping him spell and sound out words in his mind. Every night he texts me ‘goodnight!’ with the exclamation point included – he loves to hear the other phone buzz when he hits Send- and is already working on his qwerty skills on keyboards. Let kids learn! They want to! I won’t say my age but by way of advanced education of both spouses and a small inheritance I no longer have a mortgage, which has enabled one parent the privilege of being primary caretaker and the other breadwinner. If homeschool is not an option for you, use all the cyber tools (apps, videos, DVDs) and personal time you can to reinforce learning in your child, especially as we approach the Common Core years. Teaching personally our kids to think is now absolutely the only way they will make it. I never knew what a rectangular array was until now, since I will have to prepare my son to no longer carry the 1 like we used to, but also break math down into factors of ten. Do you think that schools have the only responsibility to ensure our kids are not left behind? Common Core will do it all by itself if we are not wise enough to retool ourselves as parents to be able to teach – homeschool or not. So I feel anyone with a young enough child needs to break out the tool box and ensure their child or children get a strong foundation. If kids can absorb and repeat Drake and Iggy and Honey Co…can they not be taught to watch Khan Academy or a YouTube video on how to do…something constructive and not ratchet? Now I’m telling my age. But real talk, home learning should take place regardless of what school one attends. If I teach my son music theory now and he understands what a dominant seventh is by age 4, we just saved thousands on his college tuition, whatever age he is ready to go. Quick shout out to the parents of Grace Bush, Thessaloniki Embry, Carson Huey-You, Stephen Stafford and untold others for enrolling and graduating college students as black teenagers who were homeschooled.

44. Young, Black and Gifted

Greeting to all,

This is a great article. I just sat here in read all of these comments line by line. Our public school system has failed you all as adults because you feel as though you are not qualified to teach your own child. If you are a single parent then it is your fault- make better choices in life and stop living above your means. Stop making excuses. You do not give your Caucasian boss these excuses, so why are you doing it to yourself and your children?

The public school system has failed our families and it has taught us that we have to depend on someone else to raise our children. Children are the most important people in the world as well as the kingdom of heaven. They deserve more. People have time to go out and party, or date multiple people, but they do not have time to raise their children and teach them. Do you see the problem here? We have to get our priorities together.

I do not agree with anyone on here who is bragging about how smart their child is. Loving God, emotional intelligence and respect for oneself and others is most important to succeed. Making friends and socializing is not the focus of public school in fact we are taught to be quiet most of the time.

Back people have always been resilient and able to overcome obstacles. WE DO NOT HAVE TO EXPOSE OUR CHILDREN TO RACISM just so they can make it in this world. Did you all forget what your experiences were like in the school system? I was in a diverse setting and my teachers constantly disciplined regardless of my maturity and intelligence. If it is God’s will I will never place my children in a public school system or send them alone to be baby-sat by someone who may hurt them, abuse them, neglect them or mistreat them in any way.

HOMESCHOOL IS THE BEST SCHOOL> TRAIN AND DISCIPLINE YOUR OWN CHILDREN. WHERE IS YOUR FAITH?

WE are the child’s first teacher. WE have the responsibility to take care of our own children and teach them the basics. Public school is filled with boring, dry, and false information that is designed to keep black children ignorant and unable to compete.

Why would anyone give their parental rights and responsibilities over to those who hate our children and hate our people?