Did you know that there are over 2 million children in the US that are home-schooled? Did you also know that their parents are doctors, lawyers, former teachers, and other business professionals? Gone are the stereotypes that peg home-school teachers as being stuffy stay at home moms or religious nuts. This is increasingly becoming a great alternative to public school and there are many great reasons why.
If two busy parents each commit to home-school for 2.5 hours a day each, before or after work, children get 5 hours of school a day.
1. The commute is a lot easier. Especially when you have multiple kids that go to different schools and have different drop off and pick up times. It can get hectic and after all the driving is done you still have so much to do!
2. Private school is expensive. Many people cannot afford the tuition and with educational funding becoming less and less every year, it is not looking good for the younger generations.
3. Your child gets the exact learning environment that they need. Who knows your child better than you do? You can help them with their weaker subjects and help them to excel with their strengths. Get them excited about a particular subject and help them in other subjects they may not like by combining the two. When they are taught at an individual level the pace can be as fast or as slow as they need without having to worry about other students.
4. Learning can be a lot more fun at home. You are not restricted to a specific workbook or tests that must be done, so you can play games to enrich your child’s learning. You can watch some informational videos, take fun field trips, have gym outside. It can be a lot of fun for everyone involved.
5. If you need help from public school services such as speech therapy students who are home-schooled have that available to them for free. When they get older they can also join high school athletic teams.
6. It makes being a parent just a little more fun! You don’t have to worry about rushing around to get everyone out the door on time so that the kids don’t get a late slip. You don’t have to worry about not being able to pick them up from school on time. There is no worry about library late fees that hold up report cards. You will have more time and more freedom to be a parent.
Working Parents Can Home-school: Why and How Lawyers and Doctors Do It – Part 2