By: Krystle Crossman
Many people feel that teens do not leave high school with all of the skills that they need to conquer the real world. Home-school parents want to make sure that they teach these skills to their children. Here are ten things that home-school mom and blogger Dana Hall McCain says that every teen should know before they graduate.
1. Auto maintenance: Every teen should at least know basic auto mechanic skills such as changing a tire, fixing a headlight, what to do in an emergency, and when the proper time to get a car serviced is.
2. Money management: This is probably one of the most important lessons that you can teach them. Show them how to save money, how to budget, and how to balance a checkbook.
3. Cooking: All teens should at least know some basic cooking skills so that they don’t have to eat Ramen noodles and delivered pizza every night.
4. Responsibility and work skills: They need to learn how to be reliable and responsible. They also need to learn how to do basic job functions such as using a computer (not a problem for most teens!), making spreadsheets and charts, and organizational skills.
5. Admitting fault: Teach your child how to admit when they have messed up and then show them that all they need to do is start over and try again when they have done something wrong.
6. Healthcare: Make sure that your teen knows how often they should get a physical and what they should and should not see a doctor for. Teach them basic first aid skills as well.
7. Love or infatuation: Teach them about the difference between real love and infatuation. They should understand the difference and know what kind of love it takes to make a marriage work.
8. Domestic skills: They should know how to do basic chores such as laundry, dishes, cleaning the floors, dusting, vacuuming, and how to handle things like a clogged toilet or drain.
9. Judge of character: Teach them about what makes a good friend and what kind of characters they should try not to be influenced by.
10. Manners and social skills: Being polite will get you far in this world. Teach them proper manners and also how to carry on a good conversation.