By: Krystle Crossman
It is hard to watch your child struggle with academics but at some point they are going to. There are some things that you can do to help them out and make sure that they still get the best education possible even if they are having a hard time with something.
1. When your child begins to get frustrated they are going to want to give up. They are not going to learn anything once they have gotten to that point and the best thing to do is to take a small break. Have a little dance party or play a short game. This will help them to calm down so that you can start fresh.
2. Understand that your child is not going to like every subject and they are not going to like certain aspects of their work. You can help them to try and like the subject better but still need to realize that you will never be without conflict at one point or another.
3. Give them a time limit on when they need to get the work done. If they cannot finish what they need to finish in the allotted time, then that is all they can do. It is better for them to work out the problem they are stuck on as opposed to feeling like they need to finish everything.
4. Let your child get frustrated. Let them blow off steam and vent so that they can get it all off of their chests. This helps them to calm down and regroup.
5. Don’t correct their mistakes. If you see them making an error on their homework, don’t correct it yet. They need to make mistakes so that you can see what they are struggling with.
6. Don’t try to have a conversation about the work with them when they are frustrated. This will get them nowhere and will get you nowhere either. Wait until they calm down.
7. Help them learn how to organize. Often times lack of organization can cause a lot of frustration so teach them how to keep everything in line.