By: Krystle Crossman
It can be tough to be a parent and have to go to a full time job every day. You don’t want to leave your children behind because they grow up so quickly that you want to be there to watch them. You don’t want to miss milestones because you have to go into work. Some people are lucky enough to work from home and are able to be with their children all of the time. For others going into the office is a requirement. There are some, not many, but some workplaces that are very family friendly and will allow you to bring your child into work with you. If you feel that this is something that you want to do you need to make sure that you have thought everything out and have a plan in place should it not work out. Working mother Karelys Beltran takes her son to work with her and has laid out these tips for figuring out how to do this if you feel it is necessary:
1. Why are you bringing your child with you? Keep the answer to this in the back of your mind at all times. You are going to have to make sacrifices. You will not be able to have a high-powered job in most cases when you have your child with you. Just keep reminding yourself that the time with your child is more important
2. Find a job that will let you bring your child to work. They may be hard to find but if you make it clear in the interview or application process that this is what you are looking for you will be able to find something eventually. Jobs like this do exist, you just need to go out and find them.
3. Bring your child in part-time. This way you still get to spend your day with your child, they get to see you, but you are still able to concentrate when you really need to.
4. Don’t worry about what others in the office are thinking of you. If you worked something out with your employer that is between you and the boss. It is no one else’s business as to why you have your child with you. Drown out the negativity and focus on what is important.
5. Remember to show your boss that you can still complete your work in a timely fashion without mistakes when your child is there. This way they will know that you are able to handle it and will not take this privilege away.