By: Serena Crawford
When you see your child go through intense emotions you want to help them in any way that you can. It is never easy to watch them go through times of sadness and pain but there are ways that you can help them work through these feelings so that they are able to bounce back.
1. Your child will be less likely to have extreme outbursts if you schedule time every day for them where they have your undivided attention. Children crave attention and when they feel like they are not getting enough they will act out and display extreme emotions.
2. Make sure that you are keeping yourself in check. You don’t want your child seeing your over-the-top emotional displays because they will mimic you the next time that they are feeling frustrated or sad. Don’t bottle your emotions up but practice ways to minimize outbursts.
3. Children need to get their emotions out so try not to dismiss them. Make sure that you tell them that you understand why they are feeling this way and then offer up suggestions on how they can resolve the situation. Remain calm and make sure that they understand that you are there for them.
4. Give your child affection. If they are crying because they are upset over something, give them a hug. Tell them that everything will be okay. If they are scared, hold their hand. Affection will put them at ease and calm their emotions.
5. Make sure that you are creating clear and healthy boundaries for your child. If they are throwing tantrums all the time it means that boundaries may not have been set and they are trying to gain attention or push the line to see how far they can take their outbursts.
6. Water is a natural relaxant. If your child is having an outburst get a nice warm bath with bubbles ready for them or if they are older have them take a shower. Go swimming if it is summer time. The water will help to calm and soothe them.
7. Get away from electronics. Get back to nature and enjoy the fresh air. Exercise and fresh air is a great way to clear your mind and help your child to calm themselves and enjoy the simple things in life.