Everyone wants their children to be happy. There are many ways that we can make our children happy and one of those ways is as simple as asking them some questions. Dr. Samantha Rodman has compiled a list of questions that you can ask your child that will provoke their thoughts and bring up positivity.
1. What are you thankful for? – Asking their child about something that they are glad to have in their life will help them to bring up a topic that they are happy to talk about. It is a good question to ask during dinner so that they can tell you what they are thankful for every day.
2. What is the silver lining? – There are going to be negative things that happen every day so it is good to ask them what the positives that can come from the negative are. They will be able to find good in bad things that happen and have a better outlook on life.
3. What can you do about it? – If your child comes to you with a problem don’t immediately solve it for them. Ask them in a calm and warm tone what they think they can do about the problem. This helps them to be independent and learn how to problem-solve which will help give them a sense of accomplishment when they have solved it.
4. What can we learn? – There are always opportunities to learn throughout the day no matter where you are or what you are doing. Learning new and interesting things makes children happy.
5. What was your favorite part about today? – Kids will love to tell you what exciting things they have done for the day and it will put them in a great mood to know that you are interested in what they have done.
6. How did it make you feel? – Asking your child about their emotions and allowing them to express those emotions is a great way to lift their spirits. When you hold emotions in it can build and turn into a lot of negative energy.
7. How do you think they feel? – Empathy is something that leads to happiness down the road. Getting a child to think about other people’s feelings is a good way to foster a sense of empathy.
8. What do you want to do this weekend? – Letting your child make decisions and be an important part of the planning for the family is a great way to include them. They will feel important and like their voice really does matter.
9. What do you want to do outdoors? – There are a lot of fun ideas for outdoor play. Playing a game of catch, going on a hike, or going swimming are all things that will boost your child’s happiness.
10. What can we do to make someone else happy? – Being a giving person is very important. Teach your children the importance of giving back and how it can make the other person feel. The happiness will come when they find that they have helped someone and made their lives better.
11. When are you the happiest? – Figuring out what makes your child the happiest is a good way to help them to be happy every day. You can recreate these moments and keep the positive energy flowing.