All Boys School in Ohio Has a 0% Dropout Rate and Here is the Reason Why

By: Krystle Crossman

Ted Ginn used to coach football at Glenville High School in Ohio. He was also a security guard there. He watched the students struggle every single day because of the rising pressure to do well on tests and state-required exams. He watched students drop out, flunk out, and give up on themselves. He decided one day that he didn’t want to stand by and watch the male youth of the city lose all of their potential and end up in jail or worse. He wanted to do something about it. Ginn went to the school board and the superintendent and told them that he wanted to start a public all-boys academy that was for at-risk youth. The program would be based off of a mentoring model which is very different from regular public schools. The motion was approved and in 2006 Ginn Academy was born.
In its first three years of being open Ginn Academy attracted more than 300 students. While the city of Glenville itself had a dropout rate of 54%, Ginn Academy had a dropout rate of 0%. Not a single student dropped out of the school or gave up. Many came to the school after hitting a rough patch in their lives and realizing that they were headed down a bad road but a normal public school was not going to help them get their lives on track.

The Ginn Academy has a very intense interview and background check process for potential teachers. They hire only the most qualified. On top of having the best teachers the school also has life coaches that are available for one-on-one mentoring with the students. They are available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. Ginn believes that this is one of the biggest factors of the non-existent dropout rate. If they need anything from advice to a shoulder to cry on the life coaches are there for them even when no one else is. The students have teachers who care and who know exactly what they are teaching.

The curriculum that is used in the school is heavily concentrated on math and science. These are two of the main subjects in the state graduation tests. Ginn wants to make sure that all of the boys are as prepared as possible for the testing. He is a very hands-on director. He knows all of the students by name and knows each of their unique situations outside of the school. He makes sure that he is very involved with every one of them and lets them know that he has an open door policy at all times. These relationships that are built between the educators and the students are the most important tool for learning and the success of this school proves that.

50 thoughts on “All Boys School in Ohio Has a 0% Dropout Rate and Here is the Reason Why

1. Joey Jenkins

Great article and so excited to see people taking this approach to education. I hope this example helps ignite the initial stages of the needed changes our education system needs.

Keep up the great work!

2. kevin harper

great, inspirational story. i wish i was there so i could enroll one of my boys. he needs a little help to motivate him. i will try to get something myself going on in my community.

3. Richard A Honeywell

Friends, young Black males learn better in all male settings; they are more focused and less distracted (especially in the absence of young women who they don’t have to impress or feel embarrassed around). What is impressive about the approach of this school is the inclusion of mentors who are available 24/7. This makes it a village- a true community school and you can’t fail with that model. Kudos to Mr. Ginn and his team.

• Sparkles

The same is true for young BLACK females as well RichardHoneywell. When gils are not trying to impress boys by achieving less, they step up to leadership roles and perform better academically vs focusing on physical attributes males validate.

Kudos to the GinnSchool, young males need the unique attention Ginn has created in this academic environment for them to excel as scholars and great human beings.

• Lisa McDonald

You are exactly right in what you say. However, you fail to mention that a strong FATHER in the home of these boys could take the place of many of the teachers and mentors duties they are assuming. Since there is a great absence of fathers raising their children in the black community for about 3 generations now, it seems to be forgotten by social engineers that there ever was (and still is) a huge purpose for any child to grow up in a home with both a father and a mother.

Thank goodness Ted Ginn is willing to take care of a few boys in this way, but there is no way for him to do this for everyone who needs. I hope someone will get this information to the new Sec. of Education. It is the type of thing that will solve a lot of problems, if it is promoted diligently.

4. Bert C

This is why the Government does not want to fund education in the black community, that is managed by black educators. Whites still maintain the fear of the \Educated Black\ as a threat to their existence. That want us to continually be indoctrinated and brainwashed with their reality and lies.

God bless Mr. Dunn, and the likes of Jalen Rose who are answering to a higher calling.

• Duane L

Bert C, an educated black is NOT A THREAT to my existence. Mr. Ginn’s solution should show that the government schools are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

People who care about the proper education of our young people are a blessing.

• Mary O'Malley

“Whites still maintain the fear of the Educated Black as a threat to their existence”? Really? Many Whites (like ME) are begging for School Choice for black children. The indoctrination and brainwashing is going on in many government schools by BLACK teachers and their unions. I wish their was a Ted Ginn Academy in every neighborhood in Cleveland and beyond.
      Only ONE PARTY wants to keep blacks uneducated and it’s the Democrat party. including Barack Obama.

• Nathan Myers

You all ARE aware that this is a public charter school, right? Public.

Public charter schools are still administered by the government, but often administered in a much less hands-on way by governmental leaders who have a vested interest in gutting public education. For every one story of Ginn Academy, there are 15 other stories of public charter schools failing students by trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Sarah

I agree. Worse thing we did was send my grandson to a charter school headed by a previous successful magnet school principal but located in a mostly white privileged community. While the administration were successful with majority of students when in the A-A neighborhood; it was not so at this school. It was horrible for my 4th grade grandson and his contact with them in high school continues to be painful.

5. Pingback: All Boys School in Ohio Has a 0% Dropout Rate |

6. Rhonda Black

Wonderful that we’re taking charge of our own which is a necessity these days. Thank You to all for a job well done and keep up the excellence.

7. If You Think Im Wrong Your Stupid

Lets look at Baltimore, the leadership of the city is almost all black, the mayor black, the school board almost all black, the teachers in the school almost all black, the inner city almost all black, the kids in the schools almost all black…Oh yeah the state tax payers of MD a majority white approving state school spending that per student is the third highest in the country…obviously white people are the problem!
    Blind and racist is no way to go through life sir…

• DLB

The majority of tax payers in MD are not white…if anything many whites are on welfare (family members worked social services, so they know), with immigrants (legal/illegal) being 2nd on the list. There are other areas in MD, i.e. montgomery county where Black children attending school are doing excellent. It’s all where the resources are placed.

8. Justin

I would love to know how the school attracts such high quality teachers. Do they have more funding to offer better salaries or conditions? What is there to lead a quality experienced teacher to apply to work at Ginn rather than somewhere else?

• VoiceofReason

Can I please read through one comment section without Barack Obama or democrats blamed for something??? Just know that the U.S. lags behind most countries in education. It is a fact that black boys are targeted by math scores on whether they will head to prison to work as slave labor. And there is real fear of the establishment of educating \the least\ in order to keep them dumb and beholden to the government whether as a welfare, recipient or as a slave in the penal system.

• India Thompson

It’s not money. More seductive is the opportunity to make a difference. These are the teachers who teach because they want to make a difference. I will bet that these teachers make no more — and probably less than they would make in public schools.

• T. Cannon

Ginn draws teachers from the same hiring pool as all schools in the Cleveland metropolitan school district…it’s a regular public school not a charter …it has regular Union teachers…lol

9. Dylan

This is great; the level of success is staggering. Why isn’t this idea being implemented more often?

10. julie

Ginn Academy is a wonderful asset to my city, and a model that needs to be duplicated! I have to correct the author.. Glenville high school is not in the city of Glenville, it is In the city of Cleveland in the Glenville neighborhood. Also, Ted Ginn Sr. Is still the football coach at Glenville high.

11. Elsa K

I pray to God Almighty that someone will help get schools like this in Columbus, OH. They are lost there, truly.

12. Pingback: Black on Black Education | Educating Elijah

13. SALENA PINCKNEY

may God continue to bless you for all that you do and all that you have done in the lives of the young boys I have a son also and I hope to research your school more and possibly get him enrolled can you send me some more information please send me your contact phone number and the best time to reach you my phone number is 551 – 256 640 cell phone and I live in Pennsylvania out of Berks County I look forward to hearing from you thank you and God bless

14. Sandi Jackson

The best part is this is NOT a charter school, this is a public school that is part of the Cleveland Schools.

15. BJ

Why are these boys “at risk”?

This statement, “These relationships that are built between the educators and the students are the most important tool for learning…” is not true at all. It is a bold-faced lie that this community (and our society) is believing.

Let’s get to the heart of the matter…the family. The family is the most important tool for learning. Students spend less than 1/3 of their lives in school during the school year.

Do these boys have fathers in the home? Do their parents care about their children’s education? Do the parents help with homework, support discipline in the school, and get involved in their community?

While I applaud the results of this academy, it is very apparent that the teachers, mentors, and life coaches are doing what the parents should be doing.

I hope that these young men go on to be responsible, caring, loving, involved fathers and help end the cycle of one-parent, uninvolved families.

• DLB

There are children who grow up in two-parent homes, live in the suburbs or wealthy upscale communities who believe their parent’s money can by them anything, i.e. education by cheating their way through high school, college, etc.; get them hired at jobs they don’t qualify for; parents pay for their homes; etc. They are a waste & a drag on humanity because mainstream media doesn’t report the criminal activities of these thugs, in which, their activities is the cause of various legislations being passed, i.e. zero tolerance in schools was because of the columbine high school shootings, as well as, other high school shootings committed in suburbs by white thug males, but was enforced at schools of predominately Black students & against Black students.

16. Pingback: All Boys School in Ohio Has a 0% Dropout Rate and Here is the Reason Why - How Africa

17. DLB

I worked in the court system, so I know of the types of criminal activity that takes place in areas the mainstream media doesn’t report on, i.e. whites, latinos, asians, pacific islanders, indians-india, middle eastern, jews, etc. all receive substantial amounts of welfare benefits (cash, medical, food stamps, childcare, etc.) without contributing tax dollars; have the biggest gangs-especially the asians, they call them gangsters; child abuse is very frequent these communities-all types; perverted parties, i.e. swingers; as well as other types of perversions & laziness; all while living in these affluent communities. Since whites & nonblacks want to post negative responses to this article, i’ll post the truths about their peoples.

18. Dora T. Webb

I feel you sir. I admire you for doing this service for children. I am struggling now trying to keep a school for at-risk-youth open for the same reasons you stated.. I get depress sometimes and want to give up. It is so hard to get people to invest in children and their education. Not realizing they are the leaders of tomorrow. Whether good or bad. When I look around and see where they came from and where they are today it just makes my heart glad. This is what keeps me going. Some of my students the psychologist told the parents they will never learn. Well that was lie, they are productive citizens in their communities. We will keep investing in our children and we will make a difference in they lives. And I am praying that people will help us financially to help our children all of them.

19. Dora T. Webb

I feel you sir. I admire you for doing this service for children. I am struggling now trying to keep a school for at-risk-youth open for the same reasons you stated.. I get depress sometimes and want to give up. It is so hard to get people to invest in children and their education. Not realizing they are the leaders of tomorrow. Whether good or bad. When I look around and see where they came from and where they are today it just makes my heart glad. We will keep investing in our children and we will make a difference in they lives. An I am praying that people will help us financially to continue to help the children.

20. Mrs. Dora T. Webb

I feel you sir. I admire you for doing this service for children. I am struggling now trying to keep a school for at-risk-youth open for the same reasons you stated.. I get depress sometimes and want to give up. It is so hard to get people to invest in children and their education. Not realizing they are the leaders of tomorrow. Whether good or bad. When I look around and see where they came from and where they are today it just makes my heart glad. We will keep investing in our children and we will make a difference in they lives. An I am praying that people will help us financially to help the children.

21. John G

Let me first start off by saying that the Ginn Academy is in Cleveland, Ohio. Glenville is a great high school in Cleveland. Are you saying that the dropout rate of 54% is from Glenville the high school or from the schools in the City of Cleveland? That is what it takes, patience, discipline and love. Great job, to all those young brothers, please keep up the good work!!!

22. Pingback: All Boys School in Ohio Has a 0% Dropout Rate and Here is the Reason Why | How Trends

23. Mommy Miles

I would love to place my son in something like this at an early age. I had to take him out of a preschool b/c of blatant racism from a teacher that the school was excusing. The success of our boys is going to be a major factor in the shift of our communities. It does not need to be at the expense of our daughters [must be said], but it is a priority.

24. Pingback: All-boys Ohio School With 0% Dropout Rate | Dr. Carla's Blog

25. Canyar Score

Why is everyone so easily mad when reading a positive story? It’s good- zero dropout rate at a school. Okay, thats nice. I didnt know dropping out was an option, when I was in school- thus, Im not so impressed. I read it & say to myself, Oh thats good. Then I read the comments & see attacks on white people, then down the line to even Pacific Islanders, and so on. One person works somewhere within the court system, another says they have family that works in social fields, so they have become statistical experts. White thugs commit crimes, \they\ dont want to report it in the media, but whites aremon welfare…. Okay, lets not fling dung, like a restless animal in a cage. Ever see it? I just look at the animal & think, Oh whats wrong lil buddy? Upset youre being gawked at & judged? Well relax, clean yourself up & do what you can do to fix your situation. No point in being mad at us. You behave like an animal, so we cant open that door. To be amongst the rest of us, you must evolve into a self reliant, responsible and safe individual, that worries about themself & their own household first. And then once youve mastered that, then u can be a helpful member of society & repair your community. During this process, you must not fling dung at others that have already completed this evolution. Its backwards to your own development. Throwing a stat without numbers proves that the cage door must have a key readily available, just in case the animals must be handled. Just worry about yourself. Sounds silly to adjust facts around to prove your mis-information. God bless. Wish everyone the best. My black family is thriving. We make sure we’re good people. I dont worry what your family member claims to be true. Thats the wrong mindset. Are you doing what you should? Thats the real question.

• Vincia

The people who are mad that the black students are not dropping out and getting a good education are the ones you probably have stock in the prison system

26. Anthony Hnton

I believe in ths story..The attention they give to each young men is on point..I believe there should more school like ths accross ths nation.Especially in low income area..Ths story has up lift me and me the idea to try to bring somethg as ths in our community..I will keep ths story bcz Im pretty sure in the future I will try to reach out to ths couches..as well directors…..

27. Helen C Cummins

I hope that the success of this All male school is just all MALE, our young men must see men in leadership positions, unlike an ALL MALE school in Atlanta and a great number of the teachers are women….

28. Thembelani Maphanga

Great story .. We have bigger challenges in south africa similar to your experience.. sad reality is that pressure to have more passes in Grade 12 has made govt to look at lowering the bar and this has lower the standards of education and students no longer take their education seriously ..

Leadership continues to fail an African child and this has longterm impact on the future of South Africa.. Your experience could help us deal with the challenge you have just raised .. The advantage we have this side is that we already have a.school that can implement such a.programme.

I so.wish we could partner with such an institution and learn how we cam best educate the rural poor African children

29. Shaketha Ashley

SPEECHLESS…..I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING, SEEKING, DESPERATE FOR INSPIRATION AND MOTIVATION TO GET OUT OF THIS RUT THAT HAS STAGNATED ME FOR SOME TIME NOW….WHAT A STORY…IM ACTUALLY A BIT JEALOUS THAT I WASNT THE INDIVIDUAL WHO CAME UP WITH SUCH A BRILLANT IDEA….THIS STORY IS PRICELESS!!!!! I THANK GOD FOR ALL OF THE PERSONS WHO ARE PARTAKERS IN SUCH A BRILLANT PROJECT….MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS AND KEEP ALL WHO ARE INVOLVED WITH THIS MINISTRY….

30. Angelique

I’m interested in how can u sign up ur child to be a part of such a prestigious school. I’m trying to save my son from the streets. How to u get information or a application to apply nd how is it funded. Or the cost to send u son here

31. Julius max

The black home school is definitely important, especially because it’s an all-boy school, considering the fact that most of us black males are missing this essential education so pertinent to our lives.
    Julius max*